just smile: model UN
So we're back from Model UN, and it was basically one of the funnest trips -- ever. I was so happy during that conference. Not only did I get to hang out with my good friends, but I got to hang out with new ones, and meet and help out these endearing, succeeding middle schoolers. :)
One of the things that really struck out to me was how raw some of these children were. They listened to every word you said; they were obedient, looked up to you -- you were their role model for that one day and a half. And you didn't even have to be their adviser -- as long as you had an urge to help them, then you were their adviser.
Two people that stood out to me were Eduardo and Tatiana from Berea for two different reasons. Both of these two students are of South-American descent, and are ESOL students. ESOL? Yep. They came to a conference, to discuss other nations around the world.. and not even in their primary language. That already is a huge step -- but they even took it further.
Eduardo and his speeches were so precious. He gave his speech about Uruguay, and it was just the most endearing thing. Sure, he pronounced words wrong, and he stumbled -- but who doesn't? He gave one of the cutest speeches ever in General Assembly, about his "little brother/sister and lead toys" but either way, everybody gave him a huge applause. He was definitely one of those iconic middle schoolers at the conference.
And another one was Tatiana, who represented the country Bolivia. Judy was her adviser, and she had told me that she was so excited that Bolivia had made it into General Assembly. It also passed there too, it was great. Tatiana was really nervous about speaking in front of about 150 people, so she had Judy, and some other resource staffers stand up there with her while she gave her speech. And she was just so passionate, and she gave great responses and spoke really well. That really made me proud.
After any delegate who looked scared/shy/nervous finished talking, since I was at the aisle of the center stage area, I was able to say "Good job" or "You did great" to all of them. And I can still remember when they responded back with such a loving smile, and a "thank you so much." It was just like a great moment. I don't know about their backgrounds, I'm not even too sure about their last names, but what I do know is that I think this one experience could really impact their life. One day, they might look back and say that MUN was such a great experience. Their English wasn't perfect, but they had these.. these kids in light blue shirts, who wanted to help them and wanted them to succeed.
Every little "Good job" I said, I meant it. I really did. Some of these middle schoolers had natural talent, and debate skills growing within them. I hope I can see some of them next year in speech and debate; it would be really cool if that happened.
As for Eduardo and Tatiana, I don't know if I'll ever see them again. But if I don't, what I'll remember is that they overcame adversity, and a freaking language barrier to go talk about something that they really believed in. And then when the audience gave them a huge applause, their faces wore the biggest smiles. Something that you can't buy in an Abercrombie clothing store. Something you can only find within the clothing closet of your heart. And as they all walked back, I told them "Good job." Because they had really done one.
* * *
MUN was amazing. I was just.. so happy there. I know I can't be the only person who feels HAPPY when you see a young soul smile back at you after you said something to them. It makes you feel so important when they say "Thank you so much" or just return your gesture with another smile. And I was surrounded by these short, intelligent children, some who really had this drive.
My "kids" were great. They won Outstanding Festival of Nations Booth, and their booth was really awesome. It was beastly. I really enjoyed meeting them, they were really cool, and two of them plan on coming back next year. I told the one in 8th grade to join Youth in Government. Hopefully I'll see them next year. :)
One of the biggest highlights of the conference was square dancing and dancing in general. That was a time where I really hoped I had brightened someone's life. When we were doing the penny pickup, we were encouraged as resource staffers to find a middle schooler to dance with. So I searched and searched, but unfortunately did not find one. But I wasn't going to give up -- I had to dance. It's like.. me. :P So I just ventured around until I found this short, skinny brown-haired girl. Her name was Hannah, she was in 8th grade at Riverside Middle. I basically convinced her that she had to dance even though she claimed dancing wasn't her thing.. but I was like "I'll MAKE you a dancer! :D" and she gave this.. awkward, but still real smile. I had a lot of fun with her and I hope she had fun as well.
The world hunger simulation touched me. Neel and Nina's stories were so powerful, they both gave me chills. I was inspired and I want to that selection of stories at nationals for prose. Just because they touched me. And they make you realize a lot. This simulation involved about 40 loaves of bread. Basically, after each story, we called up countries and they would receive their package of bread. Now, all the bread represented all the food in the world. As countries walked up, the bread distributors opened the bread loaves, and got out.. one slice of bread.
And gave those to about 6 countries. There are countries out there that got one slice of bread. a SLICE. when we had a full table of about 40 loaves. UNBELIEVABLE. More countries came. We gave them a quarter loaf of bread. More countries. Half a loaf. More countries, one loaf.
Then we moved onto the United States.
"The United States will receive 15 loaves of bread."
.. Shocked faces, but touched faces. Mary walked up and explained that we are so blessed. The girl who was representing the US who was carrying the loaves of bread dropped about 7. Just think about it. 40 loaves of bread that represented the food in the world, and the United States, the country that WE live in right now -- we had 15. 15 loaves of bread. More than one third.
After the world hunger simulation, it was time for the slideshow, which was the best way to end the conference. Pictures of all the events were shown while playing 5 songs: "How Far We've Come" - Matchbox Twenty, "Don't Stop the Music" - Rihanna, "The Great Escape (Remix)" - Boys Like Girls, "YMCA," and "Chariots of Fire." It was awesome.
Well I, believe, it all, is coming to an end
oh well, I guess, we're gonna pretend,
let's see how far we've come
let's see how far we've come
I've been listening to this song nonstop, because I really love the lyrics. Rob Thomas, you did it again. :)
So.. I've learned a lot at this conference. But I don't think I will forget that feeling of when the middle schoolers who had finished a speech gave this huge smile. A huge smile of success and accomplishment, and happiness. We're in different grades, we have at least a 2-year margin between us, we might be different races, different genders, like different kinds of music, but in the end..
We share one thing.
We can smile.
And by smiling, it shows that you feel good. And it makes others feel good.
- Gary
Btw, talent show (more like anti-gary show) totally phailed. But I don't care. The happiness from MUN is still overflowing :]
Read Online Nokia 6085h User Manual Pdf rtf
7 years ago

1 comments:
I'm glad that you feel so happy right now, Gary!! MUN sounded amazing...
The loaves of bread simulation sounded pretty cool, too. :)
Post a Comment